Fun Facts About US Government Spending
December 25, 2009 · Posted in Government
Anybody who seriously supports even $1 more government spending in the United States may want to ponder the following simple facts:
- Take a look at the most recent “Summary of Receipts, Outlays, and Surpluses or Deficits (-): 1789–2014“
- In there you can see that under president Reagan the federal government spent a total of $7 trillion during the 8 years from 1981 through 1988, a number higher than the combined expenses of all previous US governments from 1789 through 1980 ( a mere $6.5 trillion)
- Under George H. Walker Bush, in only 4 years (1989-1992), the federal government spent a total of $5.1 trillion, more than the combined sum of all governments from 1789 through 1977 ($4.9 trillion)
- Under President Clinton the government spent a total of $12.6 trillion, more than the combined sum from 1789-1987 ($12.5 trillion)
- Under President Bush the federal US government spent a total of $21 trillion in the 8 years from 2000 through 2008, this number is higher than the expenditures of all US governments combined during the 204 (!!) years from 1789 through 1993
- Already, according to the Obama administration’s estimates, the federal government is planning to spend a total of $22 trillion only over the 6 years from 2009 through 2014, which would probably compute to about $30 trillion over the entire 8 year period, a number that would top all combined federal government expenses from 1789 through 1999
In case anyone is interested and hasn’t yet looked at relative numbers:
The size of government in relation to private sector has grown to 40% in 2009, according to www.gpoaccess.gov estimates.
Below please find a historical chart that shows the growth of the size of government in the US from 1930 on through now. I estimated the numbers of state/municipal expenses prior to 1948, based on the general observable trend back then, applied the GPO’s estimate for 2009 federal expenses, and assumed that state/municipal expenses in 2009 remained at the same level as 2008:
Do you see where this is going? Do you understand what we mean when we say “things are out of control”? This train wreck is headed for a cliff and the public is cheering on its acceleration. The system will have to play itself out, and in the very process it is going to destroy itself.
All we can do is remain calm and collected, don’t stress over this madness. Educate yourself and your friends and family about the truth about Freedom, Peace and Happiness. Act upon it. Understand the concepts of Ethics, Human Nature, Government, and Liberty. Act upon it.
Once people understand the truth, society will be transformed into a viable, peaceful, and prosperous system.