Very nice discussion:
Words and language can hold a lot of power. If your task is to destroy the people’s desire for peace and individual liberty, and if you can convince them that the US system over the past century is what free marketers mean when they say ‘capitalism‘, then your job is pretty much done.
But today’s shifts in public opinion seem very clear to me, just from comments I gather here and there: Fewer and fewer people are buying this story. More and more are beginning to try and think for themselves, simply out of plain necessity.
I have been harping on this for about 5 years now: The key concept that public discourse is still missing, the one word that explains all of today’s economic and political troubles is Interventionism.
This is the Communist Maifesto’s 10 point program (from Wikipedia), I marked in green all those points that the US federal and state governments can proudly check off on:
1. Abolition of property in land and of all rents of land to public purposes.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax. [x] DONE!
3. Abolition of all right of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels. [x] DONE!
5. Centralisation of credit in the hands of the State, by means of a national bank with State capital and an exclusive monopoly. [x] DONE!
6. Centralisation of the means of communication and transport in the hands of the State. [x] DONE!
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the State; the bringing into cultivation of wastelands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal liability of all to labour. Establishment of industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country, by a more equitable distribution of the population over the country.
10. Free education for all children in public schools. Abolition of children’s factory labour in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production. [x] DONE!
Good job comrades, 5 points done, only 5 more to go!